Saturday 21 January 2017

Homesickness

Saturday 21 January 2017



Homesickness is described as the extreme longing for one's home; for me, its much more than that. As students, most of us fantasize about getting away from our parents and breaking rules; like those coming of age movies, where people make insane bucket lists and do weird sh*! Sorry to break it to you, but that's just in movies, being away from family and home means the invisible security blanket which covered you since childhood, immediately disappears. Poof! all gone! You are forced to do a lot, you are forced to grow up. Living without my family has been such a great learning experience for me. I have learnt to cook, to deal with adults like adults :). It seems so much easier on paper; you have to live it, to know how hard it is.

Homesickness creeps in during this learning period. Its not just the longing for one's home, its the longing for that security blanket, that love and warmth. I have learnt to deal with my homesickness; to be honest, it never completely goes away. If you are also suffering from this, I advise you to go outside and breathe. Spend time with nice people, skype with your loved ones and read. Reading always makes me feel happy; it takes away the loneliness. Try recreating the things you would eat or do at home. I love making my mom's famous dishes, such as chicken curries, biryani, appams etc. I mean, you have to live anyway, cherish every second of life.
I chuckle, when some of my friends gush about how lucky I am, to be away from my parents. Its not that easy folks; its very scary. But I guess, it makes you a tougher person. You learn how to stand up for yourself and grow thicker skin. I applaud those students, who spend several years living in a hostel studying hard.
I just wanted to share my thoughts with you guys. What are your views/experiences ?

Bisoux,

Lubna

Follow me on Instagram @lubnaumar
Click the bloglovin' button on the right x

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

TheMissLubna © 2014